This is Rapid Fire Movie News, where we give small updates on some upcoming movies, plus our reactions. Today we have new additions to Fox’s Deadpool movie, the upcoming Assassin’s Creed movie has found its female lead, and Suicide Squad may have finally found it’s replacement for Tom Hardy.
- Deadpool – The following castings have been made and will be joining actor Ryan Reynolds in the X-Men character solo film. (The Hollywood Reporter)
– MMA Fighter Gina Carano (Fast 6) will play the mutant character Angel Dust.
– TJ Miller (Silicon Valley) has been cast in an unspecified supporting role.
* Additionally, the X-Men character Colossus will make an appearance in the film.
It’s not official if actor Daniel Cudmore will be reprising his role as Colossus, but as a fan I hope to see him back. Gina Carano has improved her acting skills with every role she has taken. She’s a natural born ass kicker and I’m excited to see what she brings to this kind of film. I’ve also become a big fan of TJ Miller, especially in comedic supportive roles. Him and Reynolds are bound to have some laugh out loud moments when onscreen together.
- Assassin’s Creed – The upcoming video game adaptation has casted an Academy Award winning actress in Marion Cotillard to co-star along side Michael Fassbender. This addition reunites the two with Director Justin Kurzel, who all three worked on the upcoming film Macbeth. (Deadline reports)
The last update we had a couple months ago was that Fassbender and company were still working on getting the script right. Well it looks like they came up with something real good that attracted an Oscar caliber actress like Marion. Plot details are very thin, but with shooting set to begin later in the fall we should know more by then.
- Suicide Squad – The DC Comics villain focused film has struggled to find a replacement for the Rick Flagg character after Tom Hardy dropped out followed by Jake Gyllenhaal. Now its confirmed that Joel Kinnaman (Robocop) has been cast as Rick Flagg, leader of the Suicide Squad.
Okay, lets be real here this guy is no Tom Hardy, but I’m part of the split crowd that enjoyed the Robocop reboot. I also hear good things about his performance in the TV show The Killing. Joel Kinnaman joins a cast which features Will Smith, Margot Robbie, Jared Leto, Jai Courtney, Viola Davis under the direction of David Ayer…… Bad Ass!
Deadpool opens in theaters on February 12, 2016
Assassin’s Creed is set to release on December 21, 2016
Suicide Squad releases in theaters on August 5, 2016