This is Rapid Fire Movie News, where we give small updates on some upcoming movies, plus our reactions. Today we have release dates for the Rocky spin-off film “Creed“, as well as the Steve Jobs biopic “Steve Jobs“, and the first trailer for Magic Mike XXL.
- Creed – Warner Bros. has officially announced the release date for “Creed”, which will release in theaters on Thanksgiving Day this year.
I love the release date for this kind of film for two reasons. First, the players involved in this project make this a potential Oscar bait film. Director Ryan Coogler and actor Michael B. Jordan are teaming up once again after the excellent work they delivered in last year’s “Fruitvale Station”, which had a considerable amount of Oscar buzz.
Second, “Creed” has a heavy dose of inspiration in it’s plot, which is something I love watching around the holidays. Returning as his iconic Rocky character is Slyvester Stallone, this time as a trainer to the young and talent grandson of his former rival.
- Steve Jobs – News broke out this week of the long delayed Steve Jobs biopic receiving a release date for October of this year. (The Wrap)
BREAKING: Universal Pictures’ STEVE JOBS will be released on Friday, October 9, 2015. (Jeff Sneider via. Twitter)
Michael Fassbender as Steve Jobs
This is another one of those films that has Oscar potential written all over it. The script for “Steve Jobs” (written by Aaron Sorkin) focuses on three 30 minute scenes (played out in real time) backstage during major Apple events. The players involved also make for great execution to be expected.
- Director Danny Boyle
- Seth Rogen as Steve Wozniak, Apple cofounder
- Kate Winslet as Joanna Hoffman, former Mac marketing chief
- Jeff Daniels as John Sculley, Apple’s former CEO
- Katherine Waterson as Chrisann Brennan, Jobs’ ex-girlfriend
- Makenzie Moss and Perla Haney-Jardine as Jobs’ daughter Lisa at different points in her life
Although this project has found its share of trouble finding the light, it looks like everything is moving along smoothly.
- Magic Mike XXL Trailer – Ladies, if you some how in this day and age have not seen the trailer for Magic Mike XXL, here it is for you.
This makes me want to work out even harder at the gym now. Well, the good news is this sequel looks to repeat everything that worked so well for you in the first film (Dancing, Jokes, and Tatum’s charm). The bad news is no Matthew McConaughey this time. Sorry.
Creed opens in U.S. theaters on November 25th, 2015
Steve Jobs hits theaters October 9, 2015
Magic Mike XXL opens in theaters on July 1st, 2015