With the announcement of all the official DCU movies to go along with set release dates, WB/DC has now set their own Cinematic Universe in place. It kicked off a year ago with Man of Steel but will really get going in 2016 with Batman V Superman. With ten plus DC movies to go along with all the awesomeness going on with Marvel, the ‘superhero age’ is officially here and it doesn’t look like it’s going anywhere anytime soon.
Marvel has been pleasing us for years now, creating a freaking titan known as the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and it truly just keeps getting better. Fox just got back in the game with their massive hit X-Men: Days of Future Past, with an ending that basically says, ‘we’re back b**ches.’ And they have a Fantastic Four on the way which will no doubt get sequels, unless it completely bombs (highly doubt it). As for Sony, they did right with The Amazing Spider-Man, but the sequel turned out to be a huge mess because they are trying to establish their own Cinematic Universe to fast. So that universe is now is a flux, but does it matter since the rumors of Spidey possibly going back to Marvel and joining the MCU keep building and building?
All of these movies may be under different companies and rights and all that, but either way they all fall under the ‘comic book’ genre. Next year kicks off a five year stint of comic book movies coming in left and right! But don’t get it wrong, this is only what’s scheduled – there is no doubt these movies will continue into the distant future.
- Avengers: Age of Ultron – May, 1st, 2015 (Marvel)
- Ant-Man – July 17th, 2015 (Marvel)
- Fantastic Four – August 7th, 2015 (Fox)
- Deadpool – February 12th, 2016 (Fox)
- Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice – March 25th, 2016 (Warner Bros.)
- Captain America 3 – May 6th, 2016 (Marvel)
- X-Men: Apocalypse – May 27th, 2016 (Fox)
- Doctor Strange – July 8th, 2016 (Marvel)
- Suicide Squad – August 5th, 2016 (Warner Bros.)
- Sinister Six – November 11, 2016 (Sony)
- Untitled Wolverine Sequel – March 3rd, 2017 (Fox)
- Untitled Marvel Film – May 5th, 2017
- Wonder Woman – June 23rd, 2017 (Warner Bros.)
- Fantastic Four 2 – July 14th, 2017 (Fox)
- Guardians of the Galaxy 2 – July 28th, 2017 (Marvel)
- Untitled Marvel Film – November 3rd, 2017
- Justice League – November 17th, 2017 (Warner Bros.)
- The Flash – March 23rd, 2018 (Warner Bros.)
- Untitled Marvel Film – May 8th, 2018
- The Amazing Spider-Man 3 – 2018 (Sony)
- Untitled Marvel Film – July 6th, 2018
- Aquaman – July 27th, 2018 (Warner Bros.)
- Untitled Marvel Film – November 2nd, 2018
- Shazam – April 5th, 2019 (Warner Bros.)
- Untitled Marvel Film – May 3rd, 2019
- Justice League 2 – June 14th, 2019 (Warner Bros.)
- Cyborg – April 3rd, 2020 (Warner Bros.)
- Green Lantern – June 19th, 2020 (Warner Bros.)
Man of Steel 2 and a solo movie for Batman have also been announced and are scheduled to be released some time between 2016 and 2020.
HOLY FREAKING CRAP, that’s a total of 28 movies schedule – now that is a slate! There will no doubt be more movies announced for 2019 and 2020, and definitely more from 2021 and on – but hey, we can stop being greedy. We will be getting five to seven comic book movies A YEAR starting in 2016! It’s an incredible time to be a movie fan right now, I know I honestly never believed something like this could happen for comic book characters and the big screen.
I know personally, I will be insanely invested in each universe. A decade ago, these movies were on the screen to be fun and bring that comic hooky world to laugh, but now – they are flat out good movies. Some of the best choreography (Like Captain America: The Winter Soldier) and incredible narratives (like X-men: Days of Future Past) you will ever see.
These movies are now becoming standards for cinema, breaking much more than just box office records. And people are starting to realize it now as real movie stars are wanting to get in on the action and become part of these universes. Marvel with their MCU and Fox with their X-Verse have been doing it for some time now, but people like Ben Affleck, Will Smith, Tom Hardy, Michael B. Jordan, and many others all want part.
I can’t wait to see how all these universe shape up and the directions they’re going to take. Like I said above, it’s a great time to be a movie fan!