Ever since the very first screening of Marvel’s The Avengers, audiences across the world have been waiting and waiting for Avengers: Age of Ultron to come out. Now the movie is less than a year away and the film is well over half way done with it’s shooting. We know that the Avengers will have some new allies this time around and we see to have been gotten some big information on that front. If true, these will be SPOILERS so you’ve been warned!
First let’s start off with these images of Elizabeth Olsen of Scarlet Witch, Aaron Taylor-Johnson as Quicksilver, and Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye in what is believed to be a town near the base where the twins (Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver) are being held in the post-credit scene of Captain America: The Winter Soldier (attached below for those who haven’t seen it). That base is believed to be a remaining Hydra base following the events in Cap 2 – check them out.
In the latest issue of Total Film magazine, an article on the Avengers sequel with some new news (rumors) and interviews with some cast members. In that article War Machine and certain S.H.I.E.L.D Agents were mentioned, Taylor-Johnson and Olsen talked about their new roles and characters, and Tom Hiddleston talked about Loki.
- At this point, it’s not known how big of a role War Machine (Don Cheadle) will play in the movie, but when Ultron gets the showdown War Machine will be alongside Earths Mightiest Heroes. Statement from the article, “Also making his Avengers debut is James Rhodes (Don Cheadle) – better known as War Machine – who apparently has a “key role” in the battle with Ultron.”
- Cobie Smulders will reprise her role as Ex-S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent (and possible new Stark Securities Director) Maria Hill.
- Also stated in the article that (unfortunately) Agent Coulson will not be featured in Age of Ultron. The Avengers still believe that he is dead following his death by the hand of Loki in Marvel’s The Avengers. But it’s speculated and expected that he will be in Avengers 3 and his comeback story might play a big role.
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson had this to say about the twins relationship, “His sister really is his guidance. He’s very over protective (of her) physically, but emotionally she’s the one who looks after him.” It sounds like Wanda may be the overall balance for the twins, keeping Peter in check when things get a little crazy (which I love).
- Elizabeth Olsen said this about her character and her specific powers, “I just love Scarlet Witch. She is a messed up lady. She can tell you where an object has been, she can tell you what your future is, she can connect with the dead and people from other universes, and she’s the only person in this universe who’s capable of doing that.” She also said that she can and will cast hexes, which is her main power and what everyone wants to see.
If these all end up being true, then we should all expect some exciting new things. Not only that, but it looks like Marvel, Kevin Feige, and Joss Whedon are setting up a team that will feature new core members as we head into Phase 3 and eventually Phase 4. Could that possibly mean we maybe see solo films for such characters like War Machine and the twins as we go forward? I SURE HOPE SO. All in all, it sounds like some damn good news and I personally am finally going to see what I’ve been wanting to for some time now – War Machine used more like he should be, because he is one of the baddest dudes on the planet. And from the sounds of it, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch sounds like they will be an awesome new thing on the MCU. The characters will definitely add a different side and aspect to the team and universe that we haven’t seen yet. It’s just damn exciting!
Avengers: Age of Ultron will open in theaters on May 1st, 2015. Directed by Joss Whedon starring Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, Scarlet Johansson, Jeremy Renner, Cobie Smulders, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Elizabeth Olsen, Don Cheadle, Anthony Mackie (rumored), Haley Atwell (rumored), Josh Brolin (rumored), Paul Bettany, James Spader, Thomas Kretschmann, and Samuel L. Jackson.